Monday, April 4, 2011

yoga virgin






i recently tried yoga for the first time.  didnt hate it.  didnt love it.  i really never thought i would do yoga, ever.  i found myself adopting the "i dont need yoga, my ass needs boot camp!" mentality.  i just didnt think it was "my thing."  bending, stretching, posing, weird positions and movements.  no thanks.  i am NOT a limber person and certainly not the most graceful.  i much prefer a fast-paced strength training type of exercise and anything competitive.  loud music, grunting, heavy breathing, shouting, high energy.  i need to sweat, to move quickly and get my heart pumping.  this particular yoga class was none of the above.  that was to be expected, however... it was not as easy as i had anticipated it being.  i was feeling the burn in places and muscles i never knew i even had.  some of the positions were nearly impossible for me to hold for any length of time and i learned that i need to work on my balance (while not horrible, could be improved).  i consider myself an athletic person (however i am out of shape right now.. ughhh) and i am up to any challenge.  its hard for me to admit defeat.   i like to think there is nothing i cant do, so that is why i am going to the same yoga class tomorrow morning and i am going to master it.  one class at a time.  if i had one complaint about the class it would be the yoga lingo.  but after a few times of going to the class, i should be able to add a few yoga words to my vocabulary and start remembering the names of the different positions/poses.  i found myself spending a good deal of time looking over my shoulder or between my legs just to get a glimpse of the instructor and re-position my body.  she spoke very quickly and my un-trained yoga ear was not ready.  but, on the upside it was a very welcoming atmosphere and i didnt feel out of place, which is nice.  also, the meditation thing.  i guess that was another bump in the road for me.  i dont meditate, but i did enjoy the cool-down meditation time at the end of the session.




namasté




2 comments:

  1. i've never done yoga either. i'm convinced there's a good chance i would injure myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! now go run!
    I found yoga classes at 24hr fitness were a great workout and I quickly became addicted. Yoga in San Francisco is WAY to spiritual and they talk too much about my third eye so I no longer do yoga.

    ReplyDelete