Sunday, January 30, 2011

extreme banana nut bread


it was raining today and brian and i were craving some comfort food.  so i threw some chicken taco stew in the crock pot and decided to bake some banana nut bread for dessert. 




ingredients needed:

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
two sticks of butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs, beaten
4 over-ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup chopped walnuts - optional
preheat the oven to 325 - yields two loafs - 9x5 
bake time: 60-70 min


method:

once the oven is preheated, grease and flour your loaf pans.
in a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.







in a large bowl, cream your butter and sugar until smooth.







once the mixture is smooth, add the eggs and vanilla and beat on low until well incorporated.







i just added the chopped walnuts to my mashed bananas... on the right is my sifted dry ingredients







next, gradually add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients.  i used a spatula for this.  you should probably add the dry ingredients in thirds, but i was too impatient and added it all at once.








next, add the bananas and walnuts.  dont overmix.








divide the batter evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.  bake for 60-70 min until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. 








i would recommend keeping a close eye on the loaves around 45-50 min.   because of the sugars, it can brown quickly.  i started to smell the bread at about 50 min, and i should have checked on it then, and didnt. a liiiiitttllee burnt. darn. *note - i think our oven is hotter than it should be, so you may not have any problems.




let the loaves cool in pan for 5-10 min.  transfer the loaves to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.  wrap in aluminum foil to keep the moisture in.   ideally, refrigerate for two hours before serving.  but heck, they come out warm and smelling delicious.  how can you resist?  there are two loaves... so i decided to try one hot out of the oven and put the other one in the fridge to cool for two hours.  







finished product.  yuuuuummm!  way good and way addicting.  i just wish i hadnt burned the edges.  ugh.  better luck next time.  it was still delicious though.  enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I think all blogs should have a subject- like a theme. How about ETIQUETTE! And each post can have a subtheme. I was not always the nicest person so I learned. AIRPORTS: starting off- you go check your bags through the stupid security scanner and they have the medium and smaller size bins for your personal belongings. After they go through the scanner everyone seems to leave their bins on the conveyor belt until they all get jammed up. Yes, there are security personnel working there available to help but your mom is not. So open your eyes and put them back where they belong (you will notice they are all stacked up at the end of the conveyor- what a concept). Later on, while waiting for my flight I grab a seat near my gate. There must be some protocol that each person gets two seats-one for their ass and one for their gucci handbag. Either way, whatever. If I had a gucci handbag I would probably give it its own chair too. So I grab a seat between two elder ladies. Minding my own business IT SMELLS LIKE A FART! Seriously- what's going on girls? I can't take it anymore so I walk around and head into the bathroom before my flight starts to board. I'm the type that rolls the paper towels out so it is available after I wash my hands. What's up with the girl that's grabs my towel and doesn't get me a new one? Are they so self absorbed that they think the towel fairy left it out just for them?

    That's my contribution to your blog Mrs. I know that's not the point of a blog to put my mini blog inside of yours, but I needed to get that out. And... I think you should have a theme. Any other ideas...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh samantha. i agree with the theme thing. some ppl write about photography. others their travels. some ppl about their day to day. family. food, cooking. wine and spirits. fashion, make-up, style. etc etc. it goes on. but, i dont have a theme because i dont always feel like writing about the same things. PS try the banana bread recipe. super delicious.

    ReplyDelete