Saturday, January 29, 2011

what's on my kindle?



one of my goals for this year (and forever, really) is to read more.  its hard for me to find time to read, but its something i truly enjoy, so i am going to make it a priority.  currently, there are only about 10-12 books on my kindle, and i think i have read 4 or 5 of them.  i always keep a list of books to buy for my kindle in the memo pad on my blackberry. whenever i hear or read about a great book i think i would like, i jot down the title in the memo pad and the next time i am at the book store or shopping in the kindle store, i pick up a book ive been interested in for a while.  my problem is that i have collected more books to read, rather than reading the books that are waiting for me on my shelf.  so this is the year to start reading all of the books that i have instead of purchasing more to collect dust (or archive itself in my kindle).  you may be wondering why i would even buy a hardcopy when i can purchase an e-book for my kindle.  truthfully, i just love books.  to hold them. to flip the pages.  the way they smell.  and most of all, i totally judge a book by its cover, and i love collecting beautiful books with great cover art.  AND some books, for various reasons, are still not available electronically, including the harry potter series (which i still havent read.  on my to-read list for 2011).  the harry potter series is not available electronically because jk rowling doesnt believe that her books should be read on an e-reader.  she wrote the books with pen and paper and believes the readers should read them in bound paper form.  sounds good to me.  i have all seven books waiting for me on my (overflowing) bookshelf.  so, on to it.  whats on my kindle?






freedom - jonathan franzen
i have been trying to get through this book for what seems like forever.  ughhhh its awful.  but i am trying so hard not to give up on books and read them all the way through.  in the past, i have found myself reading a third or half of a book, getting bored and putting back on my shelf to never read again.  not anymore.  i will finish this book if it kills me.  i am about halfway done and its still seems like the book is going no where and it wont get interesting.  i hope im wrong, very wrong.








the hunger games - suzanne collins
everyone has been telling me that i MUST read this book (and the others in the series). ok ok.  its on my kindle, i will read it.  i just hope its as good as everyone has been saying it is.  i havent even done any research on the book, and honestly, i dont even really know what its about.  but, sometimes thats better.  i just know its supposed to be good and other than that, there are no expectations.








no country for old men - cormac mccarthy
wow, what an amazing movie.  that is the main reason i bought this book for my kindle.  if you havent seen the movie, do so.  however, even though i really enjoyed the movie, i felt like there were a lot of details that had to be left out for filming purposes and time constraints.  that is why the book version will dominate over the film version every time - characterization and detail.  although the cohen brothers did an excellent job, cormac mccarthy should win the story-telling duel.








decoded - jay-z
this book may seem way out in left field, but i am really intrigued and curious.  jay-z is a brilliant entrepreneur.  rap music aside, jay-z is living the american dream.  he has built an empire from nothing and remains the most successful hip hop artists/businessmen of all time.  he owns clothing companies, a sports team, nightclubs, record labels etc etc.  oprah was the one who turned me on to this book (not like she called me personally, ha.  a girl can dream).  she was shocked by how much she liked it and how well written it was.  she gave the book such praise and said that jay-z really changed the way she thinks about rap music and the hip-hop culture.  cant wait to give it a go.









water for elephants - sara gruen
yet again, another book that many of my friends have been raving about.  the reviews are great and im pretty sure the movie about this book is due to be released this year.  interesting.  a book about a traveling circus, eh?  i think i like the concept.  this will probably end up being a summer read for me, considering it is almost february.  even so, i look forward to it.


happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment